Today, so many people all around the globe are dependent upon their home internet. If you are reliant too, then you will need the fastest speeds possible from your AT&T fiber account.
Your wireless speeds rely on certain factors, which also include the speeds you are buying from AT&T and the router.
So are you wondering, “Can one use their own router?”
Well, it turns out that you can!
We are going to discuss the ATT Uverse Modem setup guide and other details in this read!
So let’s get started!
HOW TO USE YOUR OWN ROUTER WITH AT&T FIBER?
There are various reasons one wants to use their own router, so to do that, you will have to follow our step-by-step guide mentioned below:
1. Plug in your new router to the DSL line and the power source.
2. Now, connect your router to the device with the help of an Ethernet cable and make sure that it is not Static but Dynamic IP. Then, run the cable to the new router from the Broadband port.
3. On your PC, open a browser and type 192.168.1.254 to access the modem’s settings. Open the Home Network link, take a look at Status, and tap on the disable button.
Here, you will have to confirm that you want to turn off the built-in wireless router.
4. Now, open Local Devices and find your new router. Tap on the Edit firewall settings and click on the new router from the drop-down menu.
You will find it below the ‘Select a computer’ tab. Then, tap on the settings that permit all applications, and it will switch you into DMZplus mode.
5. Go back to your home screen and shut down the browser. Then, remove the cable from your device and turn on your new router. Lastly, check if you can see the wireless signal.
After following all the steps, you will be able to access your new router. If you wish, then you can change certain settings as well.
HOW TO CONNECT YOUR OWN ROUTER WITH AT&T FIBER?
Wondering, “How do I connect my router to fiber?“, Read all the steps to set up your router without any hassle:
Step 1: Choosing a Router
You should keep a few things in mind while buying a third-party router for your AT&T fiber.
First of all, do proper research about the third-party router and finalize it after choosing the best router with the features you want. Then, jot down whether the router is compatible with the AT&T fiber or not.
Step 2: Locating Gateway Login Information
After unpacking your new router, it is time to set it up, and you will be able to do that with the help of our guidance.
So, firstly, find your login details for the gateway. The information will mostly contain a username and a password.
This login data is very important because it is the only way to set up a third-party router and access the gateway settings.
Step 3: Log in
Once you type the login credentials, select the login button. Then, open a browser on your laptop or PC and type the mentioned IP address for your AT&T settings or fiber configuration.
Step 4: Settings
After completing the above step, you will be directed to the gateway.
Now, search for the settings tab and go to LAN>DHCP. Then, alter the range to 172.16.0.0 and cache it.
Step 5: Plugging In
Now, your internet will turn off automatically. Here, you will have to plug in your router and connect it with your AT&T device and a power source.
Then, do not forget to unplug the network cable from your desktop or laptop and plug it back in again.
Step 6: Going back to settings
Here, you will have to go back to the gateway setting. Then move on to the firewall section. Next, select DMZ, pinholes, and applications.
Once you complete this step, the details about the new router will appear on your laptop or PC screen. Then, select your router and tap on the option that says “allow all applications” (DMZ Modes).
Step 7: Configuration
After you get access to the configuration page, you will see your public IP address.
Is your address 172.16?
Then, it means you had some problems with the configuration process. In such cases, retrace your previous steps and see if there were any issues in the set-up process.
Step 8: Disabling the AT&T Router
In the last step, before surfing the internet, do not forget to disable the AT&T router. If you don’t know how to do it, then find it here:
- Go back to the gateway settings page
- Tap on the Settings option
- Then, go to LAN>Wi-Fi option
- Once done, then see if the status is disabled or not.
For those who have a dual-band router, make sure to disable both before browsing the internet.
Want to know what routers work with AT&T fiber?
Then, keep scrolling!
BEST ROUTER FOR AT&T FIBER
Have a look at the best routers that are best for AT&T fibber below:
- NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK (AX12) 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
- NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK Smart Wi-Fi Router
- NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK 4-Stream AX4 Wi-fi 6 Router
- Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 AX11000 Tri-Band 10 Gigabit Wi-Fi Router
- TP-Link AC4000 Smart WiFi_Tri-Band Router
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Do I need a special router for fiber optic?
Mostly, Fiber-optic internet needs a third type of technology to transmit the signal. The fiber internet contains thin pieces of glass that receive and send the internet signal.
In short, to transmit the data, the glass carries beams of light. So this method affects what equipment fiber-optic service needs, such as routers, modems, and cables.
So without a fiber-compatible router, your fiber-optic internet won’t work. Thus, you will need a special router for fiber optics.
2. What do my Wi-Fi gateway power status lights mean?
Every Wi-Fi gateway power status light has a meaning. From AT&T Modem Service Light Red to Light Green, know what each light means and how to use them to fix the network issues.
The power status lights on your Wi-Fi gateway means:
|Red Light||The power supply or the gateway is malfunctioning. If you want to fix it, then try to reboot the gateway.|
|Amber Light||If you see this light, then it means there is a software update in progress. Avoid removing the battery or unplugging the gateway until the update is complete.|
|Flashing Green Light||This light means the gateway is starting|
|Green||This light means the gateway is powered on.|
3. How to use your own router with AT&T U-Verse?
If you want to switch to AT&T U-verse, then we have a handy tip for you. So here is how to set up your own router to work with AT&T U-verse:
- Firstly, you will have to turn an Ethernet cable to the LAN port on the AT&T router from the WAN port of your router.
- Secondly, go to your PC open your browser, and type 192.168.1.254. The IP address will allow you to configure the settings.
- Next, use your gateway and click the wireless setting under Key Things to Do. Then, find the WiFi setting and disable it. Your AT&T modem is complete, and now you can move onto the configuration of your own router.
- Then, enter the IP address of your router into your web browser, and go to your router settings.
- Find an option for Bridge mode or DHCP below the network section of your router settings. Put your router in Bridge mode, which will allow your router to use the IP address of the AT&T modem.
Once you do everything correctly, you will not only be able to use the WiFi network but also access the Internet.
So, this is it! We hope this article was useful for you. Make sure to follow the above steps to get your work done. Remember one thing, when you set up your own router for AT&T Fiber you can only contact the company that made your router for any help.
If this ATT Uverse Modem Setup Guide helped you, then share it with your friends and family as well.