An ENT or an otolaryngologist is a specialist who treats ailments and problems related to the nose, ear, and throat. As it is normally said that the mouth, ear, and nose are interconnected with each other, therefore the specialist is the same for them. whether it is a breathing problem, ear pain, sore throat, etc. the doctor to visit is an ENT specialist.
There are many ENT specialists that one can find in town, however, ask for referrals and choose carefully before getting an appointment.
Problems treated by ENT
There is a long list of problems in the neck and head area, which can be treated and consulted by an ENT specialist. Some of the common issues that one should get checked by an otolaryngologist are:
- Ear problems: pain or infections in the ear is quite common. Also, there is a common problem of ringing sound in the ear called tinnitus that is treated by an ENT. Also in case, anything gets stuck in the ear that also can be removed by them.
- Loss of hearing: in case of hearing impairment then an ENT can work alongside an audiologist to find the exact cause and its treatment.
- Allergies: allergies are quite common among people, and usually allergen enters the body through nose or mouth. This is the reason why ENT can help in giving immunotherapy shots and find the exact cause of the allergy.
- Voice and speech-related problems: ENT doctors are instrumental in finding the problems causing speech and voice-related issues. they help in repairing the voice box and also find any type of cancer or tumor in there. also, they work with speech pathologists to diagnose and give treatment for speech problems.
- Nasal issues: one of the major issues faced by many is nasal congestion which can be caused due to different things. ENT is trained to find the exact reason behind the congestion and also give related treatment. sinusitis is usually one biggest reason behind congestion and ENTs help in curbing the issue over time.
- Sleep apnea: snoring and blocked nasal pathways can lead to a lack of sleep. ENT doctors take sleep diagnosis and tests to find the base problems and then give treatments.
- Balance problems: facing dizziness and balancing problems means there is an issue in the ear. As there are a few structures in the inner ear that allows the body to be balanced at all times. ENT doctors give treatments to lessen dizziness and find the root cause.
- Surgeries: every ENT is a highly trained and skilled surgeon and thus can operate on many ears, throat, and nose related problems. some of the common surgeries that an ENT can perform on are cosmetic surgeries, tonsillectomies, nasal polyp removal, myringotomies, sinus surgery, tumor surgery.
Finding the right ENT doctor
As mentioned above there are many ENT doctors that one can choose from, but few things should be kept in mind. this way one will get quick and proper relief and will get real value for one’s money.
Take consideration of:
- Credentials: the first and foremost thing that needs to be checked is the credentials and qualifications of a doctor. Make sure they are licensed and have the required certifications for surgeries.
- Experience: The next thing to be taken into consideration is the experience of the doctor. Therefore get referrals and do some research to know about the doctor’s experience, their past patient and their goodwill before booking an appointment.
- Hospital: there is always a need to check the hospital and the facilities that are provided there. in case certain tests are to be done or surgery is to be performed, there should proper facilities and amenities present.
- Health insurance: lastly, it is important to check if the hospital accepts your health insurance so that there will be no problem while billing payment.