I was craving pasta last night and decided to try something different for a spaghetti dinner. Looking online for different pasta recipes I decided to do black bean spaghetti. I checked my cupboards and noticed I had all the ingredients. I’ve come to love black beans since becoming vegetarian and have already posted several black bean featured recipes.
I love pasta. Spaghetti and lasagna being my favorites. As much as I love them I like to limit how often I have pasta. Craving pasta, I set out to come up with something easy and tasty. This black bean spaghetti isn’t loaded with unnecessary ingredients but is versatile enough accept about anything. Adjust to your liking and experiment with different flavors! If there’s an ingredient you don’t like, leave it out and add what you like!
Normally I’d like to use as many fresh ingredients as possible. I used this opportunity to use up some canned goods from the pantry. Here’s what I came up with:
- 1 15 oz Can of Black Beans
- 1 28 oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 4 oz Can of Mushrooms
- 1.5 oz of Sliced Ripe Olives(half can of 3.8 oz can)
- 1 13 oz Package of Whole Wheat Spaghetti
- 1 Medium Onion
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Red Pepper
- Heat water to boiling in large pan for spaghetti
- Open and drain cans of black beans, mushrooms and olives
- Dice onion and garlic, add to heated pan
- Slice red pepper into thin strips, add to onion and garlic in pan
- Add olives and mushrooms to pan, mix well
- Let mixture cook for 5 minutes, add crushed tomatoes
- Add any or your favorite herbs or spices now
- Heat sauce until it starts to bubble, reduce heat and let simmer
- Add pasta to boiling pan of water, cook as to package directions
- Drain pasta
- Add sauce over spaghetti noodles or mix together in large bowl
This makes A LOT of spaghetti! Great for the whole family, divide in half for two people..or enjoy the leftovers!